Sunday, January 5, 2014

NYE in Copa, Rolling at CR and Equipe LPM

Big thank you to  Professor Cleiber Maia and Equipe LPM
for the great training!
This week it's been hot here in Rio, I mean a real scorcher. In between training sessions people have been trying to stay cool by relaxing in the pool, swimming in the ocean, and/or eating copious amounts of acai. With the heat it has been very important to make sure to stay hydrated. I have been chugging down multiple liters of water a day and thankfully not letting the heat get to me (I still manage my morning and afternoon coffee even in triple digit temperature). On Tuesday evening a large group of us headed into Copa to ring in the new year. For those who don't know it is one of the largest new year celebrations in the world, with millions of people flocking to the beach to enjoy music, friends, and TONS (I believe something like 24) of fireworks. Nicole and I went to Copa last year as well and were a little over welcomed by everything. This year though we handled it like seasoned veterans. We knew where we had to be to catch buses, the best spot on the beach, and we knew to stick close by each other so we wouldn't get lost in the crowd. During the amazing fireworks ceremony it really sank home that we have been here for over a year. It was great to be able to look back on the differences from one NYE to the next. I have to say I had more fun the second time around (and the first was a blast), it makes me excited to see what the second go around for events like Carnival will be like and what new experiences I will take away in 2014.
Beach side cocktails on NYE.

Week in Training

I was able to close out 2013 and welcome in 2014 with some great training. Earlier in the week I got in some great nogi grappling in at Reyzinho's ATT. It was a smaller class, but other than me everyone there was a black belt. We started the class off with me showing a few wrestling techniques and then transitioned to nogi. We first covered using a double underhook pass and transitioning to an anaconda choke as your opponent tries to roll out. The next technique that was shown a Peruvian necktie variation off of a ¾ nelson. I really liked that submission, it translates well into my style of grappling. We rolled for 5 rounds, and I felt really good. I feel like I have taken a step up in my game (especially in nogi). I am seeing openings to pass, escape, or attack the submission with much more clarity. In nogi I have really been working a more wrestling based bottom game working for escape or reversals and using the resulting scramble to create openings for submissions. During one such scramble I was able to use a sit-out with a high turn in to escape and before my opponent had a chance to reset his position I was able to dive in for a deep anaconda and eventually force the tap. Don't get me wrong I am still very much on the receiving end of some whoopings, but it's feeling like I really made a big breakthrough in my game.
Vlad Alves showing technique at the house.
With most gyms being closed on NYE and the 1st the guys all got together to either roll or drill here at the house. That's definitely one of the benefits of living here at CR. I have learned a ton of little tweaks or variations on my techniques from drilling with people from all over the world. On Thursday we had a guest stop by to teach and to roll with us. 2013 Brown Belt World Champion Vlademir Alves, who trains at Terrere's with a few people in the house, came by for the afternoon. At first there were four or five people drilling technique, but soon more jumped in. So many in fact that we were soon moving the furniture to lay down more mats. By the end almost the entire house was on the CR mats training.

Rolling at Equipe LPM

On Friday Mike Tlalka and I headed into Laranjeiras to train at Equipe LPM. Equipe LPM is ran by Cleiber Maia, whom we met at the CR Churrasco. The class started a bit differently then the normal routine. Instead of warming up then hitting technique, we started rolling right away. We had rolled for the better part of a hour. The rolling was competitive and spirited, with quick transitions and everyone playing a very open game. After we finished rolling we moved onto judo techniques. We spent the next half hour working grip fighting and several throws. I had varying success; I haven't trained judo much and while some throws are similar to wrestling many are not. It was a bit frustrating, but in the end I was able to pull a few good concepts away from it. After the judo we transitioned to the ground technique that was a great back attack to a shoulder lock. When finished training a group from the gym invited us to go grab a quick drink and some food at a local botequim. As often happens in Brazil a “quick” bite to eat was a couple of hours, but that's ok because it was a great time. We got to talk about techniques, social programs, life, and stories of BJJ past. The last part is one of my favorite topics. Hearing stories of BJJ legends and the more “wild west” days of jiu-jitsu is something I absolutely love. It's great to see how the art and its practitioners have evolved over time. The next day I was pleased to see that Professor Cleiber posted a video of the ground technique we covered in class, just to help me remember all of the little details of it. We were welcomed to Equipe LPM with open arms and friendly smiles. I look forward to the next time I can go and train with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment