Sunday, December 22, 2013

Working on Weaknesses

Post wrestling and nogi at the CR house. Thanks to Senki Kimonos
for the new shorts!

It is officially summer here in Rio! While there has been a bit of rain lately, the sun has been out everyday and the temperature here has been high. Most of the house I has been enjoying the warm weather by heading to the beach, hiking, or swimming in the pool. We even have a few people who started to take up surfing while they are here in Rio (something I wouldn't mind trying again). Last weekend we had the CR end of the year BBQ, which was a great time. There was belly stretching amounts of steak, sausages, cheese on a stick, and much more. You would think that it would have given us our fill of the Brazilian churrasco but a few days later a group of us lighted up the BBQ and cooked---just goes to show you can never have to much grilled food.
Just a small amount of the food from the CR BBQ.
Photo by vitophotography.com
With regards to training I took it a bit easier. While in Gramado I banged up my shoulder a bit (and decided to train through it), so I opted to spend the week focusing on correcting issues with my technique and focusing on little details. One issue that I really started to address is my flexibility (or lack there of). I have never been extremely flexible, but I used to frequently do yoga and stretch after my workouts so it was never really an issue. Unfortunately though I have gotten away from it, and really started to notice just how inflexible I have become. While in Gramado I got some good stretching drills from Maurico Babuu, a former K-1 kickboxing coach, for kicking. I have combined those with stretches and BJJ specific drills to make a “corrective” workout to help make me more flexible. It's been humbling, but I have already began to notice some results. The biggest area has been with my hip movement. With my hips feeling looser I have been able to switch in transitions and maintain a more constant pressure from top. I had two guys comment this week on how crushing/smothering I felt from top so I must be taking a step in the right direction.

Talking shop before some nogi work.
I also spent a good deal of this week working to develop and improve my guard game. I have had a bit of trouble trying to find a game that really fits well with my aggressive style and more importantly I can carry over to nogi and MMA. I have a ton a respect for more sport specific techniques and positions but they just don't carry over. I am not saying I refuse to train them or acknowledge their value, it's just that at this time my focus isn't on learning the latest and greatest techniques in BJJ. Rather I started working a couple basic series from closed guard, half-guard, and reversal or escaping side control. With some experimenting and a lot of reps I think I have finally found a good fit for my style.

I also explored a few new ways I can incorporate my wrestling for BJJ. While teaching my wrestling class at CR, I trouble shot a few positions that guys wanted to work from. At first some of the positions I didn't have an immediate answer for so I started to play around and experiment. Soon my creative juices were flowing and I started to see new ways that I integrate wrestling for BJJ. We explored options from halfguard, open guard and various other positions. I was seriously smiling with excitement. After the training we rolled some nogi and I felt more inspired than have in a while. I was trying new things and snapping into attacks faster. I can't wait to start the week of training and experiment more.
Back stage at WOCS 32, with Rogerio Nogueira.

While I may not have gotten in much training, what I did get was some enlightenment on how to move forward with my training. It was nice to be able to relax a bit and enjoy Rio during the week. While not training I have spent time swimming, exploring, and longboarding. It was good for the body and the mind. I think being able to chill helped me to make some of the technical discoveries that I made this past week. I am excited to see what this next week brings and what new discoveries both on and off the mat I will make.

No comments:

Post a Comment