Sunday, August 10, 2014

Continuing Down the Path


After MMA training at Rio Fighters. photo by Joey Crisostomo.
I'm sitting down to write this blog on a sunny Sunday afternoon here in Rio. Between typing sentences I glance up at palm trees and pedra da gavea. There are birds chirping and I have reggae playing in the background. This is the bjj lifestyle. Sundays for me (and most of the house) is a day of rest. For me it's about recharging both the body and the mind. After getting in 10-12 training sessions throughout the week it is nice to relax, maybe swim in the ocean, ride your bike, grill, or just joke around with friends. This way when I start the week off with my morning workout, I'm freshly motivated and above all else I am hungry.
Sparring at Rio Fighters. Photo by D. Asche
Next month, on the 14th of September, I will be making my MMA debut. The promotion is part of a three day combat sports festival featuring BJJ, Muay Thai, and both Pro and amateur MMA. I am in the full swing of my fightcamp and I am really pushing the pedal to the floor when it comes to my training. Throughout the week I get up early and head into Flamengo to do mitt work with Dennis. For much of my time spent striking I really took the Rocky Balboa approach—take a shot to give a shot and work for an eventual takedown. This approach, while sometimes effective, is not the best long term approach to things. With Dennis I have been working on movement, both defensively and offensively, and reaction. I'm working to punish people on the feet, and when I am ready, take it to the ground. Trust me it's still a work in progress (chasing perfection always is) but the results from the training are starting to show.

Learning new techniques an concepts at the CR in House Mario Sperry Seminar.
photo by Vito Photography.
After I finish training with Dennis I have a cup Add captionof coffee and a bite to eat then head over to Rio Fighters for the pro training. Both training and coaching there is going great. Everyday I am leaving training having learned something new. I don't mean I am constantly working some brand new technique, often times it's details on a technique I may have learned a while back but suddenly I am able to fully grasp how to do it. Or sometimes it's gaining a great conceptual knowledge of grappling and MMA. Working with Milton Vieira, who is someone who is technically sound and conceptually unorthodox, has allowed me to create a very unique ground game centered around my strengths. Adding to this was some thoughts that Master Mario Sperry gave during his seminar here at Connection Rio. Basically he stressed that while you need to have technique and flowing transitions as you go from position to position, BJJ is still a combat sport/ fighting art. Meaning that it is your job to frustrate and make your opponent uncomfortable. When they get uncomfortable they get tired, when they get tired they make mistakes, and when they make mistakes they get finished. If we are rolling and I'm grinding my shoulder (or elbows or knees), working to pressure pass, putting forearms across your throat, or whatever, I am not doing it to be a dick—I am not a mean guy-- but I am going to do whatever I can to advance position and eventually win. As it is with my striking, my ground game is a work in progress (it will always be), but I feel like I have a better sense of direction when it comes to my game.
Photo by Vito Photography.
I really couldn't ask for better coaches, teammates and friends to help me prepare for my fight. They push me, teach me, and pick me up when I stumble. They are helping me to be the best possible version of myself I can be.


I am going to stop writing now, it's time to fire up the BBQ, with my wonderful girlfirend Nicole and my many friends here at CR, enjoy some food, share some laughs, and relax; because tomorrow the grind starts up again, and I will embrace it with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment