Sunday, November 17, 2013

CR BBQ and Working My Guard Game

Just some of the people at Saturday's BBQ. Photo by vitophotography.com
It's been a busy week down here in Rio at the CR house. Since the start of the week the house has been full with BJJ enthusiasts from all over the world. Currently we have people staying here from the U.S., Canada, Ireland, France, the UK, Jordan, Germany, Netherlands and Poland. The belt levels in the house are as diverse as the people; there is a mixture of white, blue, purple, one brown and two blackbelts. With so much diversity we are constantly being exposed to new concepts and ideas involving both BJJ and life in general.
Because of the BJJ diversity in the house I spent a good portion of this week training with guys in the house. I got in several good drill sessions in with Mike, spending a lot of time on my guard game. Most of my game is either top or scramble oriented, so my technique from guard isn't as strong as it could be. It's not that I feel uncomfortable from guard its just that I tend to create scrambles to either escape to my feet or reverse, instead of using technical sweeps or working for submissions. While I have pretty good success with it, I recently realized I need to build a more technical guard game and show a little more diversity from bottom. Honestly some (and by that I mean a lot) of my technique felt loose and sloppy, which was both frustrating eye opening. That said I realize I need to work hard on it to turn the corner on my training. To make improvements you need to get out of your comfort zone, and that is what I am doing.
In my wrestling class I covered some techniques from the underhook series. I went through a basic snatch single, an ankle pick, and a knee tap attack. The nice thing about the series of attack is that it works great in both gi and nogi grappling. We spent a good hour and a half in the Rio sun drilling each attack. On Friday and Saturday a group of us got together and rolled nogi. We divided into groups some inside, some outside and we rolled 6 minute rounds for the better part of an hour. Overall I felt great, my cardio was strong (thanks to my recent sprint work), my top game and scrambles felt good, and I even played a little guard. With my guard I found varying success; I was able to hit a couple of nice sweeps, but I couple of times I got my guard passed and found myself getting smashed. In the end though it will only make me better.

CR BBQ

Photo by vitophotography.com
On this past Saturday CR had a huge sponsored BBQ, with many members of the BJJ and MMA community in attendance. Some of the guests included coral belt Sylvio Behring, Gordo, Terere, Liuz Dias, Cleiber Maia, Antoine Jaoude, and Claudinha Gagelha. Starting at noon we fired up the grill and continually had food cooking until after 6 p.m.. It was great to have so many members of the community here together with the guests here at CR, talking BJJ, swimming, laughing, and eating delicious food.

Also Bossa Boards founder Nicolai came over with some of his different designs and taught longboarding techniques. The road along the house was filled with gringos riding longboards with varying success. Having the different boards designs let people see just how each style handles and rides differently from the others. He even took a minute to switch out the bushings on my board and make a couple of small adjustments to make boarding better. Thanks Nicolai!
One of our guests Nico riding a Bossa longboard.
Photo by vitophotography.com

To finish the day off a group of us watched UFC 167 here at the house, while others went out to Copa to check out the nightlife. It was a great way to finish out the week, with friends, good food, and good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment