Sunday, October 6, 2013

Work Hard, Play Hard Living the BJJ Lifestyle

'Coffee and Chokes'  A pre-workout coffee before a great drill session with
Dennis. 
Every week I seem to comment on how great the training has been, or some new awesome opportunity I have had here in Rio. I know it can get a little repetitious, but that's just the kind of place Rio is. With top-notch gyms and world class fighters seemingly around every corner you never know what opportunity will pop up. Back home in the U.S. promoters will bring in UFC fighters/World Champions to make guest appearances, but here you train alongside members of the UFC/BJJ World Champions, or you talk to them briefly as you both enjoy an Acai in a local restaurant.

Week in training


Some of the CR Crew. Photo by H. Moosbauer
With the start of the new month, came a start of a new focus for BJJ technique. For the next month or so anytime I am drilling technique the focus will be on 100 kilos (side control) and knee mount attacks. For the last week or so I have been working various techniques and drills with Dennis and Nabas. One of the more common drills we do is a knee mount flow drill where we are constantly moving and shifting our weight on our opponent for a set time. It's an exhausting (and sometimes frustrating) drill, but I am already beginning to see benefits from it. When rolling this week my movement and flow felt better from all positions. I am also noticing openings for attack more, and when the opportunity presents itself I am attacking with more aggression and confidence. One of the more memorable rolls of the week came on Wednesday at Nova Uniao against one of the many talented purple belts who train there. We started rolling and he quickly pulled me into his closed guard. I went for a standing guard pass, he switched his grips to spyder guard and hit a nice sweep. He pounced on me and during a scramble he took my back; I spent the next few minutes moving and defending RNC's and bow and arrow choke attempts. When he switched his positioning to try to use his lapel for a choke I was able to scoot underneath him and come out the back door. I quickly scrambled up, hit a spiral ride to break down his four point positioning, and stepped in a hook. I faked trying to get the second hook in and as he lowered his hand to defend I was able to hit an Ezekiel choke for the submission. We continued to roll for another minute or two before the round ended. I have been drilling the Ezekiel from the back a lot over the course of the last few months and it felt great to be able to apply it while rolling.
Showing some wrestling technique. Photo by vitophotography.com
Training hard all week I felt a bit beat up and tired by the time Friday came around; but often times when I am tired I think of this quote “it's not the days you put in when you want to workout that matter---it's the days you don't want to work but still do that matter.” Anyone can workout when they feel great but where the champions set themselves apart is when they are a little tired and sore they will still put work in. I went into boxing on Friday, telling my self every second that I felt great and loved that I was at training....and soon enough my sluggish feet started to perk up and I started to move. I am glad they did, we started with 6 or 7 rounds of dirty boxing sparring with only body shots and finished with 6 or 7 rounds of normal boxing sparring. It would have been easy to try and coast through the rounds taking it easy but I picked the hardest line up of guys I could to spar. Whether they were bigger, stronger, or just plain better boxers/strikers I didn't care, I picked them in between rounds and we went to war sparring. When the going got tough I gritted my teeth, put on a smile went forward behind my punches. By the time sparring was done I had a nice black eye and a small cut, but I wasn't done yet. I put in another round on the bag, just with speed and a high volume of punches and finished with a run. By the time I got on the bus back to the house I felt ready to collapse, but I felt good. I got a conditioning workout in later in the evening and called it a day.



Just a little of all the food we had for the house BBQ.
The weather the last week has been a bit atypical for Rio, it has been overcast or rainy for much of the time. But Sunday was the exception, with the normal beautiful Rio weather making a great comeback. So we at CR do what we do best on a sunny day in Rio- beach, BJJ, and BBQ. Some of the guys got some great nogi work in on the house mats in preparation for the upcoming nogi national championships coming up this month. Others spent the day at the beach soaking up the sun and trying to surf. In the evening we all got together chipped in and had a massive house BBQ. Nothing is more relaxing than eating delicious food pool side, listening to reggae, and having fun with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment