Sunday, July 21, 2013

Getting Back to MMA Training, Having fun at the Cabaret Lounge

Another week down, another week of great memories. Training is picking up and I feel like I am starting to hit a new level. Everyday I am thankful for all the great coaches and instructors (not to mention training partners) I have here in Rio. The city is busy with the approaching World Youth Day and the Popes visit to Brazil. Nicole and I have gotten a good laugh from some of the obvious gringos around, although I'm sure we looked just as out of place when we first arrived.
Post boxing training. 
Week in Training
This past week I was finally able to get back into MMA training. Since injuring my ankle it was painful to cut angles and put my feet down to land good punches so I haven't been doing much striking work. What little I have been doing is small technique work to make sure I throw long punches using my hips, from a stationary position. This week I was finally able to get back in and do some good boxing training. In addition to foot work drills I was able to do some lighter sparring work. We did four or five rounds of light punches to the shoulders and hard shots to the body. With no strikes to the head we were able to focus on slipping and shoulder rolls to evade strikes; it also helped us focus on getting into the pocket landing a couple of shots and getting back out again. The first couple of rounds my timing and distance was off but by the end I was flowing and moving much better, and most importantly my ankle felt good (I could feel it a couple of times but nothing really hurt it).
Getting some open guard work in during Dennis's Class.
Photo by bjjpix.com
Wrestling training went good as well. In addition to the normal two days of wrestling that I coach and train at ATT, I also went to the FILA Training center and got some great work in. Antoine held a small training with some of the coaches from the UPP youth wrestling programs and also a member of the BOPE. We worked a series of attacks and counter attacks from the clinch position. It was great technique, covering (in new detail) some positions I had worked before along with a few I had never seen. We then switched gears and did a little wrestling for MMA out of the clinch and discussed methodology of wrestling for MMA. It really helped shed some new light on how to use my wrestling game. Afterwords the two of the UPP coaches, whom of both active in bjj and luta livre, took the time to correct and give technique advice on an arm-bar series I was drilling on a dummy that was on the mat. Each guy explained some concepts and made little adjustments and then watched me rep out a few more armbars. It was something they didn't have to do, they just did it to help me grow in the art, which is really what grappling and other combat sports are about.

I didn't roll in the gi a ton this week, but when I did the training was excellent. Dennis covered several gi chokes in his class (which is a part of my game I lack). The chokes were vicious and came on fast, with a few added details to hopefully help me use them more. During the rolling I felt great, the extra focus on guard work has really helped me feel comfortable in all positions and has helped me in my scrambles. I don't feel like I have to continually have and maintain top control to be effective, which has caused me to open up my attacks more and push for the submission.
The Cabaret Lounge in Botafogo is definatley worth checking out
when in Rio.
A Night out at the Cabaret Lounge

This past Thursday Nicole and I went out for the Internation's Bastille Day Party at the Cabaret Lounge in Botafogo. Internation's is an international group that offer's events for expats and natives to go out have a fun and meet new people. Going as a part of Internation's we got a discounted cover and drink specials throughout the night. The Cabaret Lounge is a unique champagne lounge with a with a lively atmosphere that includes can-can dancers. Everyone was friendly and dancing to music ranging from classics of the 60-90's as well as current hits. Nicole and I don't go out to clubs very often, and it was a fun new experience. We met several cool new people spent most of the evening dancing. The Cabaret Lounge has a different atmosphere than most bars/clubs in Rio and if anyone happens to go out in Botafogo I highly recommend checking it out. When we got off the bus back in Barra we past a bunch of the guys from HQ everyone looked at us shocked, because Nicole and I were all dressed up--everyone here is used to seeing me in boardshorts and a t-shirt or in a gi. It was great to get out and see more of what Ciudade Maravillosa has to offer.

Nicole and I out at the Cabaret Lounge. Photo by vitophotography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment