Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Here and Now, Why Brazil?

On 12-12-12 my girlfriend, Nicole and I arrived in Rio de Janeiro Brazil. My friends and family have a good idea why but for those of you that don't here is the scoop.

For the past 13 years I have been involved in the sport of wrestling, from middle school all the way through college and then transitioning to coaching soon after. Around the time I finished my collegiate career (two days to be exact) I took up the sport of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. That then carried me over into training Mixed Martial Arts and Boxing. Two years ago I found myself in Brazil training and staying with Connection Rio, now I am back down here on a more permanent basis, managing a house for Connection Rio, with the goal of branching out and coaching wrestling in the city.

First for anyone who is interested in training in Rio, please visit www.ConnectionRio.com. Dennis Asche and the CR crew is the BEST way of hooking up a place to stay (currently with 2 houses and a 3rd opening soon) and access to all the best training in Rio. Currently there are guys training At Gordo JiuJitsu, De la Riva, Checkmat, and X-gym. Its by far the best place to get the most out of a training experience in Rio.

Anyway, Over the course of my life I have developed a love for training. To the uninitiated combat sports (or sports in general) is a purely physical activity. Don't get me wrong I love the feeling of being pushed physically, being drained, looking good, getting stronger and faster. But its VASTLY underestimated mental side that is most important to me. Being pushed through mental barriers, building of confidence, but one of the most important thing, for me, is the learning. Learning new lifts, workouts, techniques, approaches of angles, and philosophies is an amazing way to expand not only yourself but of things around you.

Hence part of the reason for Brazil. Rio de Janeiro is the birthplace of Brazilian JiuJitsu. JiuJitsu Itself has been around for centuries in Japan as a closely associated grappling with Judo, both were developed as a martial art by the Samurai for close quarter hand to hand combat. In the Early to mid 1900's a Judo practitioner by the name of Mitsuyo Maeda Decided to Settle in Brazil, to repay a man who helped him get settled in he taught the mans Carlos, who in turn taught his brothers who all played and developed new ideas and techniques (going back to the learning thing) and thus creating Gracie JiuJitsu and then as it spread became known as Brazilian JiuJitsu. To be in the birthplace of a martial art and be able to meet and train with legends of the sport is an opportunity to good to pass up.

Also Brazil is in an extraordinary time right now, with the preparation for the Olympics and just growth overall there are opportunities abound if you have the desire. To be able to work down here teaching wrestling and working with kids and adults and be able to share my knowledge and make a difference, is an opportunity that I will always look back to and smile. and Besides IT'S FREAKING BRAZIL!

So in the coming months, perhaps longer, I am going to be sharing stories on training, workouts, nutrition thoughts, training philosophies, and info in general of my pursuit of my dreams here in Rio.

No comments:

Post a Comment